Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much is a copy of a birth certificate?

A: Birth Certificates are $20.00 for 1 copy, $3.00 for each additional copy of the same record, purchased at the same time.

Q: Do I have to come to the courthouse to obtain a birth record?

A: You may request your birth record via mail. Send a letter including the child's name at birth, the father's name, mother's maiden name and the date of birth. Also include your signature, address where you want the certificate mailed and a day time phone number. A Cashiers Check or Money Order must be included. You can find more information on how to obtain a birth certificate and other vital records here.

Q: How long does it take to get my deed back?

A: It takes approximately 2 weeks for a document to be returned after it is recorded.

Q: How much does it cost to record a document?

A: Recording fees are $30.00 per document.

Q: Where can I get a deed form?

A: The Register of Deeds Office has blank Quit Claim Deed and Warranty Deed forms available. These are legal documents and we can not assist you in preparing these documents. You may complete the document yourself or hire an attorney to do this for you.

Q: How can I record my document?

A: Documents may be mailed or brought in to our office at the Portage County Courthouse with the proper fees. All pages shall be letter or legal size on white paper and typed or printed in BLACK ink. Standard recording fees for all real estate documents is $30.00 per document. Our mailing address is:

Register of Deeds
1516 Church Street
Stevens Point, WI 54481

Recording is available between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Documents received after 3:30 p.m. will be processed the following business day.

Q: The names of both the husband and wife are on the deed, but now my spouse is deceased. How do I remove my deceased spouse's name from my deed?

A: The termination of decedent's interest form (HT-110) and instructions on how to fill it out are available at the Wisconsin Register of Deeds Association forms page at: The completed HT-110 form along with a certified copy of the death Certificate, a copy of the recorded deed, and the tax bill for the year preceding death, with the $30.00 fee can be mailed or brought in person to the Register of Deeds.

Q: How do I add or remove someone's name from my deed?

A: In order to change ownership of real estate, a new deed must be drafted and submitted for recording along with a completed transfer return form. You may fill out deed forms yourself, or hire an attorney to do this for you. The phone number for lawyer referral is 1-800-362-9082. Deed forms and the WI Transfer Return may be obtained form this office. Documents must be completed before submitting them for recording. We cannot assist you in preparing your documents.

Q: How do I change my name on my tax bill after a marriage or divorce?

A: Your name appears as it holds title. Changing your name requires a legal document to be recorded. Our office does have blank forms for a Quit claim Deed and a Warranty Deed. These are legal documents, we do not advise on how these should be completed. We do recommend consulting an attorney or title company when completing these forms. When complete, it should be recorded in our office along with a Real Estate Transfer Form. The fee for recorded documents is $30.00 per document.

Q: Where can I purchase a plat book?

A: Plat books are for sale at the...

Portage County University Extension Office
817 Whiting Ave.
Stevens Point, WI 54481